Thursday 2 October 2014

Studio Snoop: Bethany Robinson


We're back!

After a bit of an absence we are back blogging!  We're going to be introducing you to artists we love, bringing you to events and exhibitions with us, and sharing our love of all things creative and quirky in Cornwall. Feel free to comment about anything you think we'd be interested in, or you want us to blog about!

So, without further ado, let us introduce you to Bethany Robinson, an interesting jewellery maker working in the Krowji studios, Redruth. She is a member of Handmade England and we went to her studio to take some photos and chat to her about her work.




Bethany's beautiful jewellery

Bethany working in her studio



How did you get into art and design?

My family have always been pretty creative and I was encouraged to mess around with materials for as long as I can remember. I took art as a GCSE, A level and then my Foundation Diploma in Fine Art at Falmouth University where I discovered more craft based processes and absolutely adored making. Since then I've not been able to stop making, no matter what the material or context. 

Bethany's work is inspired in part by her unquenchable curiosity


Have you studied art and design? If so where?


Yes, I studied Contemporary Crafts BA(hons) at Falmouth University. 

Her studio serves as an inspiring, yet practical place




























What are your main inspirations in your current work? 

Lately I am particularly fascinated with the intricate detail found within nature, particularly insects, bones, skulls and seed pods. I'm inspired by the childlike curiosity that you experience when you discover something; discovering more the closer you look. I want to recreate that within my jewellery, making the object permanent by casting in precious metal. 

Work in progress




























For those who haven't seen your work before can you briefly some up your work/process? 

I create lost wax investment cast jewellery with a slight gothic/punk influence moulded directly from natural objects using a complex and extensive cold moulding process that preserves the fine intricate detail. This amount of intense detail cannot be achieved with any other process to my knowledge. 

Attention to detail




























Are there any areas of art and design you hope to explore further? 

I also create conceptual sculpture based around similar concepts. I plan to experiment with digital processes, such as 3d scanning and printing, within both areas of my practice. I also hope to create some art jewellery that is possibly more sculptural and less wearable using a combination of the skills I have already learnt. 
A cabinet of curiosities 

How did you get involved with midsummer nights? 

I completed my Foundation Diploma in Fine Art with both Cathy and Natalie, the founders of midsummer nights. After hearing about their exciting ideas after they won the pre incubation award, I was excited to get involved. 

Her jewellery is sculptural 































We loved snooping around Bethany's studio today, with artists like this at Krowji, we can't wait for the Christmas open studios!



If you want to contact Bethany here are her details:

No comments:

Post a Comment